Coal Hill Review is interested in a wide range of poetry. We ask that all submissions come through our annual contest. Please review our previous issues and the guidelines carefully before submitting.
Annual Poetry Chapbook Contest Guidelines
- Submission period: August 1st – November 1st
- Reading fee: $20 (checks made out to Autumn House Press)
- Manuscript length: 12-20 pages
- Please include with manuscript: Cover letter, Table of Contents, Acknowledgments of previously published poems, SASE
- Simultaneous submissions permitted (*Please inform immediately of publication elsewhere)
- Paper submissions mail to the address:
Autumn House Press
Coal Hill Review Chapbook Contest
PO Box 5486
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
- Manuscripts may be submitted electronically through our submission manager.
The final judge for the 2017 competition is Heather McNaugher. Winner receives publication and $1,000. We notify finalists in November, and the winner is posted on the Coal Hill Review announcements page by December 15. *Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to notify each entry individually, but be sure to check our website for contest updates.*
All finalists will be considered for publication in our online Winter issue of The Review.
NB: No MS will be returned.
*Coal Hill Review is a member of CLMP and adheres to their code of ethics.
For further questions, feel free to email email@example.com.
Winners of the Coal Hill Chapbook Contest:
2008 The Ghetto Exorcist by James Tyner
2009 Shake It and It Snows by Gailmarie Pahmeier
2010 Shelter by Gigi Marks
2011 Bathhouse Betty by Matthew Terhune
2012 Rooms of the Living by Paul Martin (co-winner)
2012 Prayers of an American Wife by Victoria Kelly (co-winner)
2013 The Welter of Me and You by Peter Schireson
2014 A Green River in Spring by Matthew Thorburn
2015 English Kills by Monica Wendel
2016 Herlad by Roberta Feins